Si tiene preguntas o necesita ayuda en español, llámenos al 707-527-4382.

Google Translate

Credit ESL Guided Self-Placement

You have the power to choose what level of Credit ESL or English you would like to take.

male student using laptop
Credit ESL Guided Self Placement

In the ESL Guided Self-Placement, you will work through four steps that will assist you in deciding which credit ESL level is right for you.

Upon completing this activity, you will be allowed to enroll in ESL 10, ESL 100, ESL 373, ESL 371, or ESL 371. Please allow four hours for your student records to update with your ESL placement.

Take the Credit ESL Guided Self-Placement

Next Steps

I completed the Credit ESL Guided Self-Placement, but I do not see my results.

Within four hours after completing the ESL Guided Self-Placement, you can view the level you selected in your Student Portal. If you do not see your ESL placement result in your Student Portal after 4 hours, please contact please call SRJC Roseland at (707) 527-4229.

When can I register for classes?

You can register for your classes during your registration date. Log in to your Student Portal to see your registration date, under Priority Registration Status.

two female students using their laptop
Need Help?
Need Help?

If you are unable to access Canvas or need help navigating the ESL Guided Self-Placement, please contact please call SRJC Roseland at (707) 527-4229.

Explore other placement options:

Continuing ESL Courses

Assembly Bill 705 (also known as AB 705), allows students more flexibility for taking ESL courses at different levels of ESL. If you feel comfortable continuing in the ESL level you are in now, you don't need to do anything differently; you can stay at that level and continue to complete ESL courses to advance to the next level in the ESL pathway.

If you prefer to take courses at higher levels of instruction, you can take the ESL Guided Self-Placement. After you complete the ESL Guided Self-Placement, you will be free to enroll in any ESL courses you wish to take.

Using High School Records

If you are currently in the 12th grade or graduated from high school within the last 10 years, you have the option to use your high school records.

To see your English placement results, log in to your Student Portal. An English placement allows you to take English 1A or ESL 10 (see how your English placement is calculated).

If you need help deciding whether to use your high school records or take the ESL Guided Self-Placement, please meet with an academic counselor.

Transfer ESL Courses

If you have taken credit ESL courses at another college or university, call (707) 527-4305, Santa Rosa Campus, or (707) 778-3908, Petaluma Campus before taking the Guided Self Placement.

I want to...

Use Prior Placement

If you took the placement test before July 2021, you have the option to take the Guided Self-Placement or use your placement test score. See the cut-off scores below:

Course Placement
70-75 ESL 100 - ESL College Reading and Writing (4.5 units) + ESL 300 - Advanced Grammar Review (1.5 units)
65-69 ESL 373 - Advanced Reading, Writing, & Grammar (9 units)
60-64 ESL 372 - High-Intermediate Reading, Writing, & Grammar (9 units)
55-59 ESL 371 - Intermediate Reading, Writing, & Grammar (9 units)
45-54 ESL 781 - Low-Intermediate Reading, Writing, & Grammar (9 hours per week, 0 units Non-Credit Transition Class)
Request Accommodations

If you have a verifiable disability and need accommodations completing the ESL Guided Self-Placement, please contact the Disability Resources Department at (707) 527-4581 to make an appointment.

Ask a Question

Our staff is here to support you with your placement questions and ensure you have a smooth process in registering for courses here at SRJC!

Connect with us Monday - Friday, 8:00 am - 5:00 pm.