Why take the GED?
Obtaining your GED credential is important for your future. GED is recognized as a high school equivalency credential by all 50 states in the United States.
Things to bring
Photo identification is required on the day of the exam, no exceptions: Photo I.D. must be government-issued, valid, and non-expired. It must include name, address, date of birth, signature, and photograph. Please go to www.gedts.org for a current and complete list of acceptable forms of photo identification.
To take the GED exam in California, you must be a resident of the state. Using a "Passport" for photo identification will also require proof of California residency. You may show proof of California residency in one of the following ways:
- DMV registration
- Voter registration
- Lease Agreement
- State and Federal Tax returns
- Utility Bill
- Bank Statement
- Marriage License
- Other Government-Issued Documentation (City, County, and State)
How old do I need to be to take the test (without exceptions)?
In California, the minimum age required to take the GED test is 18 years old.
I am underage. What do I need to do to take the GED test?
To take the GED test in California, you must be a California resident or a member of the armed forces assigned to this state and meet any one of the following criteria:
- You must be 18 years of age or older or within 60 days of your 18th birthday (regardless of school enrollment status).
- If you are within 60 days of when you would have graduated from high school had you remained in school and followed the usual course of study. (Candidates testing under this criteria may not be enrolled in school.)
- You are 17 years of age, have been out of school for at least 60 consecutive days, and provide a letter of request for the test from the military, a postsecondary educational institution, or a prospective employer.
Important note: If you pass the GED test at age 17 you will not receive the equivalency certificate until your 18th birthday; a letter of intent is issued and states that the certificate is being held pending the examinee's 18th birthday.
When are test results available?
Test results for Mathematical Reasoning, Science, and Social Studies will usually be available within 24 hours of testing. It can take up to 2 business days for Reasoning Through Language Arts results to be available. You will receive an email when your scores are ready for viewing on MyGED.
If you have passed the GED test and need to order your transcript:
If GED Testing Services does not have your GED test results, please contact the California Department of Education by phone at 916-445-9483 or by e-mail at GEDoffice@cde.ca.gov.
The Educational Testing Service (ETS) - GED Records Center handles all requests for duplicate records in California:
ETS - GED Records Center
P.O. Box 4005
Santa Rosa CA 95401